In 1852, the Memphis-Charleston Railroad was constructed through Germantown. Built in 1868, the original depot quickly became a center for the Germantown community. In 1948, the depot burned and was rebuilt using many of its original timbers. By 1948, the depot was no longer officially in use, and the Southern Railroad leased it to the city. The depot and the surrounding area were restored and dedicated as Depot Square in July 1986. This picture is from July 10, 1929, when a replica of the first Memphis and Charleston Railroad train was met by the Mayor and citizens.
Source: A Walking Tour of the Old Germantown District