During the Civil War, the house was commandeered by General Ulysses Grant as his Memphis headquarters. Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, and a friend of the Hunt family, also spent time in the house. Later, it was used as a Federal hospital during Reconstruction. It served as an office of the Freedman's Bureau, and a school for former slaves was on the grounds.
Construction of the house started in 1828 and was completed in 1832. It has been owned by members of the same family to the present.
The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Tennessee-Memphis Committee 1996