This church was founded on Dec. 28, 1844, on Front St. near Gayoso. It has since become the parent of ten daughter churches. It erected its first owned building in 1849 at Main and Beale. During the Civil War, Federal troops occupied that building. President Lincoln wrote an order for them to "get out and leave it and its owners alone."
(continued on other side)
In 1893 this church dedicated a new building at Hernando and Pontotoc Streets. Architects were F. Kees and E.C. Jones. In 1949 the church began its worship at this present site. The Philadelphia architectural firm of Harold Wagoner designed the first buildings.