New Winchester Burying Ground was established in 1828 by deed from the original proprietors of Memphis. It occupied almost 11 acres within an area now bounded by Lane Ave. on the south, Danny Thomas Blvd. on the west, the old L&N Railroad tracks on the north and Manassas St. on the east. Among those buried there were victims of the 1836 Helen McGregor steamboat disaster. It remained the city cemetery until 1874 but quickly deteriorated.
(continued on other side)
City stables were built over a number of graves, including that of Marcus B. Winchester, the first Mayor of Memphis. High Street (now St. Jude Place) and a street car line were cut through the grounds. The desecration resulted in protests by citizens and lawsuits by relatives. The solution came in 1931, when Winchester Park was established on approximately 7 acres of the cemetery. It still serves as the final resting place of some of Memphis' early citizens.