Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Warren Chapel Pisgah Cemetery

The former site of Warren's Methodist Chapel and cemetery was sold in 1851 by Joseph and Matilda Warren Locke for $20 to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. At this time it became known as Pisgah. The earliest known burial was Sarah C. Bond, 1837. Rev. Reuben Burrow preached at Pisgah Church during the Civil War. An unknown Confederate soldier and many of the area's early families: Warren, Bond, Locke, Bartlett, McGowan and Crenshaws are buried here. L.E. Dettwiller became Sexton in 1921 and served faithfully for 50 years. In 1972 Marion Hill Royer, a Bond descendant, succeeded him. In 1975 Pisgah Cemetery was incorporated and the name was changed to Bartlett-Ellendale Cemetery.