Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

The Brick Church

Organized in 1856 the Third Presbyterian Church was completed in 1860. Known as The Brick Church, it was a reference point in early Memphis directories. In 1861 citizens of Chelsea met in the Church and voted for secession. After Memphis was captured federal troops occupied the building using the upper floor for a hospital and the lower for their horses. In 1916 it was renamed Chelsea Avenue Presbyterian Church.