Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Memphis Navy Yard

In 1844 the U.S. Government located a military shipyard on the Memphis waterfront between Auction and Market streets. The facility completed outfitting its only product, the USS Allegheny, in 1847. This iron-hulled warship's propulsion system proved inefficient, tainting the Memphis yard with a major failure. The navy closed the shipyard in 1855 and returned the property to the City of Memphis. During World War II, a private firm built small naval craft here.