Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church

The oldest public building in Memphis and the first Episcopal Church in Shelby County. Organized August 6, 1832 by the Reverend Thomas Wright. The church house started 1838 was consecrated May 12, 1844, by the Right Reverend James Hervey Otey, first Bishop of Tennessee, the Reverend Philip W. Alston, Rector. The Reverend Robert P. Atkinson, Rector, 1969.