Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Bell Tavern

Here, south of and adjacent to Toncray's Alley, Paddy Meagher's colorful hostelry, in its heyday, 1823-1828, served such notables as Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, and John Bell. After Paddy's death it became a gamblers' den and in the hard winter of 1832 the resentful citizenry burned all but the bar-room for firewood. The remaining building, of flatboat timbers and wood pegs, was successively a store, a church, and a warehouse before being razed in 1918.