Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Fort Pickering

Around 1800, near the current site of the Memphis Arkansas Bridge, Capt. Zebulon Pike established this U. S. Army fort, named for Secretary of War Timothy Pickering. It remained as an Indian trading post until the end of the War of 1812. During the Civil War, the Union Army constructed a large earthwork fort with the same name, stretching along the bluffs from Beale Street to DeSoto Park.