Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Fort San Fernando De Las Barrancas (1795-97)

Louisiana's lieutenant governor, Manuel Gayoso de Lemos, erected Fort San Fernando de las Barrancas near this site in May of 1795. He named the structure for Spain's crown prince and future king, Ferdinand VII. Conforming to Pinckney's Treaty, Spain evacuated the fort in March of 1797. Although Spain occupied the area for less than two years, continuous habitation of the Fourth Chickasaw Bluff dates from the fort's construction.