On Christmas Eve 1949, parishioner John Maher buried a statue of the Infant Jesus of Prague on this site and hopeful Catholics from the area began fund-raising efforts to build the first Catholic church in Bartlett. Within one year the site was purchased for $5,000. While construction progressed, services were held in a store at what is now Stage Road and Court Street. The church building was dedicated on October 19, 1952. In recognition of a gift from Bishop William O'Brien, the church was named "St. Ann" in honor of his sister Anna O'Brien of Chicago, Illinois. It was built of red brick, in a vernacular style of the period.
(continued on other side)
In 1955 Father Leonard Oglesby was assigned as St. Ann's first full-time pastor. During his 26-year tenure, a kindergarten and an elementary school were opened and the small rural parish grew into one of the largest in West Tennessee. To accommodate growth, a new church building was erected in 1969, that building was renamed "The St. Joachim Chapel" and, following renovations, was returned to use for religious services. St. Joachim was so honored because he and St. Ann were the parents of Mary, the mother of Jesus.