Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

St. Agnes Academy

Founded January 10, 1851, St. Agnes Academy was sponsored by the Dominican Sisters from Kentucky. The school continued to operate during the Civil War and some nuns were pressed into service as nurses. Through the yellow fever epidemics of the 1870s, the modern struggle for civil rights, and other social movements, members of the order exercised their civic responsibility. Since its beginning at Vance and Orleans, St. Agnes Academy has provided a values-based, academically excellent Catholic education.