Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Millington, Tennessee

Millwood, by the plank road leading to Memphis, and Glencoe, often flooded in the Big Creek area, merged to form Millington around 1875. To stay near the railroad, Glencoe accepted George Millington's land donation if the town be named after him. Incorporated in 1903 with W.E. Polk as the 1st mayor. The school was the first accredited in Shelby County. National searches chose the town as the site for a WWI aviation training school at Park Field; world's largest inland Naval Base; and, the 1st USA baseball training site in 1985. Declared the state's "Flag City" in 1986.