Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

WMC Radio Station

Memphis' first full-service radio station began regularly scheduled broadcasting on January 20, 1923, from the top floor of this building, which was then the home of The Commercial Appeal newspaper. Listeners enjoyed a full range of musical expression along with news, sports and information. On Jan. 23, 1927 WMC gave the Mid-South its first network programs when it affiliated with The National Broadcasting Co. (NBC). During the Mississippi River floods of 1927 and 1937, WMC broadcast 24-hour daily information for steamboats, disaster relief agencies and refugees. WMC Radio, AM 790, is now located at 1960 Union Avenue with stations WMC-FM and WMC-TV.