Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Shelby County Training School

In 1913, Shelby County Training School was established for African-American students. Boarding students performed all necessary chores including gardening, cooking, cleaning and laundering. Prof. T.J. Johnson was the school's first principal. Under Prof. R.J. Roddy, the school became noted for its strict high school course guidelines. Later known as Woodstock High School, in 1923 S.C.T.S. graduated it first high school class of three students. In 1970, under Prof. John Strong's tenure, the school was desegregated and became an elementary school.