Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

University Of West Tennessee

In 1900, the University of West Tennessee was established in Jackson by Dr. Miles V. Lynk, M.D. Seven years later, he moved it to Memphis. A graduate of Meharry Medical College, Dr. Lynk was editor of the Medical and Surgical Observer, the first medical journal for Blacks, and served as the school's president. UMT offered degrees in a variety of medical fields and played an important role in providing health-care education for Blacks in Memphis. The school closed in 1924.