Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Normal Depot

Southern Railway's Normal Depot was completed in time for the dedication of the West Tennessee Normal School on September 10, 1912. A brick Craftsman-style building with a tiled hip roof, it was a commuter station with separate white and "colored" waiting rooms. Baggage of arriving Normal School students was hauled to their dormitories via mule-drawn wagon. During World War II, trainloads of wounded personnel arrived at Normal Depot for transport to the nearby Kennedy Army Hospital. The Depot was decommissioned in December 1949, purchased by Memphis State College for $200 and dismantled.