Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Oak Grove Baptist Church

Named Oak Grove because of its original location in a grove of Oak trees, the history of the church began with a small group of "freed" blacks in 1863. Mary C. and Ella J. Williams, of Williams plantation, permitted the members to use a parcel of the plantation land to construct a Bush Arbor. Oak Grove became a member of the Friendship District Association through the efforts of its first pastor, Alexander Blue. The Williamses deeded 2.8 acres to the church on December 10, 1885. The present church building is the fifth constructed on the original site.