Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Hutchison School

Mary Grimes Hutchison (1872-1962), a pioneer in rigorous education for girls in Memphis, opened her school in the Wesley Halliburton home in 1902. By 1925, Hutchison School had become a leading girls' college preparatory school, and its expanding enrollment led to its relocation at 1925 Union Avenue. Upon Miss Hutchison's retirement, Dr. and Mrs. W.R. Atkinson purchased her school and in 1954 converted it to a non-profit corporation. A decade later the school moved to 1740 Ridgeway Road. Stressing academic excellence, Christian values, honor and integrity, athletics, community service, and the fine arts, Hutchison has been educating leaders in the professions and in civic responsibility for more than 100 years.