Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church

The cornerstone for Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church was laid on April 22, 1890. The church was consecrated on May 27, 1891. Anna Holden, the guiding force in the founding of St. Andrew's, led a group that raised $3,000 to build the church. The Mangum, Bailey, Parr and Carruthers families were also among those who were active in the early life of the church. The land was purchased for $200 in 1888. Built in the traditional Gothic Revival Style, the building is laid out in the shape of a cross. The eight medallions in the side windows, symbolizing the key elements of the Christian faith, are believed to have been purchased in England and given to St. Andrew's by the Reverend Charles Todd Quintard, Bishop of Tennessee from 1867 to 1898. The "Jesus Window" over the altar was donated at construction by the Stith family of Holly Springs, Mississippi. The west "Bible" window was given by Mrs. Laura Baird. The transom window above the front doors features buckshot glass. The original brass bell, forged in Troy, New York, in 1891, hangs in the bell tower above the church and is still used to call parishioners to worship. In 1978, St. Andrew's was elevated from mission to parish status.