Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Collierville Christian Church

The Collierville Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was originally founded in Fayette County, near the close of the Civil War. Construction began at the present location in 1873. Renovation to the building were made in 1906, and again in the 1950's. It is defined as a one-story frame vernacular Gothic Revival with a two-story corner tower and steeple. The tower housed the largest bell in Shelby County, weighing 800 lbs. Architectural features include metal-roofed gables and gothic-arched stained glass windows and transoms, with entrances facing Poplar and Main Street. Turned spindles decorate the interior choir alcove and baptistery. The congregation remained here until 1992 when it relocated. The building was purchased by the Morton family in 2007 and donated to the Town of Collierville in memory of their mother, Bess Crawford Morton, a faithful member of the congregation.