Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Memphis Queen II

Built in 1955 by the Dubuque Boat & Boiler Company, The Memphis Queen II was the first all-steel passenger ship on the Mississippi River. Measuring 85 feet long by 43 feet wide, it features two decks, two smokestacks, and a stern wheel reminiscent of a 19th century riverboat. Local residents and tourists boarded this vessel from it's mooring on the cobblestoned Memphis waterfront for excursions on "Ol Man River." One July 5, 2006, the Memphis Queen II was listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the U. S. Department of the Interior.