Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Second U.S. Army

Second U.S. Army headquarters, during World War II was located in Memphis from 15 December 1940 to 11 June 1946. At the time the attack on Pearl Harbor, while under the command of General Ben Lear, U.S.A. it occupied the building on the corner opposite this marker. As a training army, it activated or trained one Army headquarters, eleven corp headquarters, fifty-five divisions and hundreds of smaller units before their dispatch to the fighting front - "Fit to Fight"