Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Veterans Plaza

History of Veterans Plaza The Veterans Plaza contains memorials to the Veterans of Memphis and Shelby County who were killed defending our freedom 1926 Statue of WWI "Dough Boy" Soldier lists 236 names. This statue is made of copper, which came from pennies that were collected by school children. These pennies were melted down and used to create the "Dough Boy" 1932 "Memory Grove" Memorial created by the Gold Star Mothers to honor their dead sons. There are 27 names engraved on a bronze plaque. This Memorial was first placed on Poplar Avenue and later moved to Veterans Plaza. 1999 Two acres to be called the Veterans Plaza in Overton Park donated by Mayor W.W. Herenton to the Veterans of Shelby County 2001 Memorial erected to honor WWII fallen soldiers. Bronze plaques on white limestone bear the names of 875 local casualties 2003 Memorial plaques honoring soldiers killed in Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm unveiled. Through these Memorials we pay homage to 1,525 Shelby County Veterans who were killed in the 20th and 21st century wars. "Let Us Not Forget" 2005 F.P. Dugan