Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

The First Railroad in West Tennessee

The LaGrange and Memphis Railroad Organized in 1835, the LaGrange and Memphis Railroad operated the first train from Memphis 4 1/2 miles on March 29, 1842, on the present roadbed of the Southern Railway. The depot which was destroyed by fire February 1, 1853, was located here. The LaGrange and Memphis Railroad and the depot were acquired by the Memphis and Charleston Railroad about 1846. The Southern Railway succeeded the Memphis and Charleston.