Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

First Memphis Waterfront

From here north to Auction Avenue steamboats landed; flatboats used the mouth of Gayoso Bayou above. Paddy Meagher, associated with this bluff as early as 1783, built a warehouse here in 1828. In 1829 Emmanuel Young built the town's first brick structure, a warehouse with freight elevator next to Paddy's; that same year it housed the first stage performance in Memphis. Soon after 1830 this area began to silt up, and the town landing moved south to Market Avenue and below.