Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Mullins United Methodist Church

Mullins United Methodist Church, named for its first minister, the Reverend Lorenzo Dow Mullins, was established July 15, 1845, in a one room log structure on this site. Federal troops dismantled that building in 1864 and used its timbers to construct Fort Hurst, located northwest of the present-day intersection of Poplar Avenue and Erin Drive. In 1876, with logs reclaimed from the fort, the church was rebuilt as a one room frame house. In 1897, a third church was built to replicate the deteriorating frame and log structure. That building was replaced in 1947 by another copy of the 1876 edifice, and it continues to serve as the Mullins Chapel. Adjacent to the chapel is the fifth sanctuary, which was dedicated April 14, 1957