Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Bedford Plantation Established 1997

The land that is now Bedford Plantation subdivision was once part of 640 acres owned by Julian Bedford (1825-1879), and Virginia R. Kenney Bedford (1830-1916), who settled in 1851 at what was to be known as Bailey Station community. They are buried here on the family plantation with some of their children. The Bedford family ancestors descended from some of the earliest families in the Virginia Colony. Julian Bedford was the son of Benjamin Watkins Bedford, Sr. (1794-1883) and Martha A. Whyte Bedford (1804-1868), the grandson of Thomas Bedford, Jr. (1751-1804) and Ann Robertson Bedford (d.1828), and the great grandson of Colonel Thomas Bedford (d.1785) of Charlotte County, Virginia. Thomas Bedford, Jr., for whom Bedford County in Tennessee was named, served in the 4th Virginia Regiment during the Revolutionary War.