Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Fort Germantown

This was the site of a Civil War earth-work redoubt built by the Union Army as part of a series of forts guarding the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. The fort is thought to have been built in June 1863 by the 49th Illinois Infantry Regiment and used by them until they were replaced by the 52nd Illinois in August 1863. The fort was abandoned and burned by the end of October 1863.