Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Hughes - College Hill Park

In January of 1884, the Memphis District High School opened its doors on this site. Built by the Memphis Conference of the Methodist Church, the school was acquired by the Shelby County Schools in 1895. In 1912, a new school replaced the original during the time Mrs. Mabel Williams Hughes, a lifelong resident of Arlington, served as Superintendent of Shelby County Schools. The school later became an elementary school before moving to Douglass Street in 1974. The Town of Arlington purchased the property in 1984 for a community park, naming it College Hill Park. In 2004, the Hughes family donated the adjacent 2.78 acres of land to the Town of Arlington, its citizens, and future generations. The park was renamed Hughes-College Hill Park in memory of the donors' grandparents and parents. In memory of: Mabel Williams Hughes Louis Wearen Hughes Mabel Harrell Hughes Lawrence Thomas Hughes