Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Steele Hall

Steele Hall was erected in 1914 when LeMoyne Institute, which began in 1862 and opened as LeMoyne Normal and Commercial School in 1871, was moved from Orleans Street to Walker Avenue. Named in honor of Andrew J. Steele, third principal from 1874 to 1908, it has served as an academic center during the institution's development from a secondary school to LeMoyne Junior College in 1924, LeMoyne College in 1930, and LeMoyne-Owen College in 1968.