Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Booker T. Washington High School

From a two-room, two-teacher structure known as Clay Street School, Booker T. Washington High School evolved as the first public high school for black students in Memphis. About 1911, the school was relocated to an abandoned building on Webster Avenue, where it was known as Kortrecht High School. During the 1926-27 school year, it was moved into a new structure on Lauderdale Street and was named in honor of black educator and leader, Booker T. Washington (1856-1915).