Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Fort Pickering

A fort named for Timothy Pickering, U.S. Sec. of State, stood near here 1799-1814. Zachary Taylor was a commandant. Here in 1801 the U.S. signed with the Chickasaws and Choctaws the treaty opening the Natchez Trace. In the 1850s a town of Ft. Pickering was organized, but soon merged with Memphis. After the fall of the city in June 1862, Federal forces built a large fort also named Pickering, reaching south from Vance Ave. to include DeSoto Park. Part of Ashburn-Coppock Park was in the inner keep.