This is in recognition and appreciation for the stewardship of Methodist Episcopal Church South members who were present at the first meeting of the Board of Trustees on February 7, 1911.
Present at this historic meeting were:
Memphis Conference: the Rev. H.B. Johnston of Dyersburg; the Rev W.G. Hefly, John R. Pepper, L.M. Stratton, T.K. Riddick and Mrs. St. John Wadell, all of Memphis.
Mississippi Conference: the Rev. J.T. Leggett of Brookhaven; the Rev. J.R. Jones of Jackson; D.W. Heidelberg of Shubuta; L.N. Dantzler of Biloxi, and Mrs. H.M. Ellis of Brookhaven.
North Mississippi Conference: the Rev. J.W. Dorman of Itta Bena; the Rev. W.S. Lagrone of Greenville; J.R. Bingham of Carrolton; John H. Sherard of Sherard; J.D. Barbee and Mrs. Robert Somerville of Greenville.
Arkansas White River Conference: the Rev. J.K. Farris of Forrest City, Dr. R.C. Morehead of Searcy; W.R. Stuck of Jonesboro; Ed Hamilton of Wynne, and J.F. Smith of Marion.
At that meeting, John H. Sherard fittingly was elected chairman, L.M. Stratton, Sr. was elected secretary, and J.R. Pepper was elected treasurer. Vice-presidents were the Rev. J.R. Jones, the Rev. W.S. Lagrone, J.F. Smith and T.K. Riddick.