Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Mt. Moriah Baptist Church

Mt. Moriah was founded in 1879. The oldest church in the area, it was relocated to this site in 1883, predating the Orange Mound Community by seven years. A vernacular-sandstone building, the present edifice was completed in 1926, during the pastorate of the Rev. A.D. Bell (1926-1945). The Rev. Roy W. Norsworthy, a Memphis civil rights leader, served as pastor from 1946 to 1986. In 1996, the 300-member church, under the Rev. Harvey B. Jackson, hosted the Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.