Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Jane Terrell Hospital

The Negro Baptist Association founded the Jane Terrell Baptist Hospital at 698 Williams in 1909 under leadership of Dr. C.A. Terrell. At his death, it was renamed Terrell Memorial Hospital under leadership of Dr. N.M. Watson. By mid 1920s there were 100 beds, 2 operating rooms and a training school for nurses. 75% of Black registered nurses who worked for the Health Dept. were graduates of this school.