Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Chambers Chapel United Methodist Church

Martha Ann Vaughan Chambers donated an acre of land near Chambers Mineral Springs as a site for a Methodist Episcopal Church South on Nov. 6, 1869. Three wooden frame buildings have stood on this location. The first was built in 1870 and destroyed by a tornado about twenty years later. The second, a large one-room frame church, burned on Dec. 4, 1927. The third was built in 1928 and had a brick facade added in 1959. The original trustees for the church were Madison H. Chambers, Dr. Fred T. Sweet, Lt. Col. James Mortimer Crews (CSA), John James and W.P. Thompson. Witnesses to the 1869 deed were Henry Talbot Bragg and William A. Redd.