Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Maxwelton (Circa 1855-1860)

Judge John Louis Taylor Sneed (1820-1901) named this house which is built of native poplar and cypress. Only a few of this "Victorian piano-box" style, more common to middle-Tennessee, survive. E.A. Spottswood, Sr. sold this land to Levi Joy in 1869. Joy sold the property to Sneed, who was living at Maxwelton by 1874. Four generations of Judge Sneed's family have lived here in the Buntyn community. He compiled a notable judicial record in Memphis, Shelby county, and on the state Supreme Court. He also help found (1887) and taught in the Memphis Law School. He was one of the founders of St. John's Episcopal Church and a trustee of the church property.