Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Memphis University School

Founded in the downtown area in 1893 by Principals E.S. Werts and J.W.S. Rhea, Memphis University School soon became the city's leading boys' preparatory school. Although the "old MUS" succumbed to the Great Depression in 1936, alumni and friends resurrected it in 1955 at 6191 Park Road under the leadership of Headmaster Ross M. Lynn. Stressing academic rigor, Christian values, personal honor, athletic excellence, and community involvement, MUS has produced numerous Mid-South leaders. After compiling excellent collegiate records, its graduates have contributed strongly to arts and letters, business and industry, science and the professions, and public service and civic betterment across the Mid-South and the nation.