Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Lemoyne - Owen College

LeMoyne-Owen College, originally known as LeMoyne Normal and Commercial School, opened its doors circa 1870 on Orleans Street. The school operated under the auspices of the American Missionary Association and was funded through a gift of Dr. F.J. LeMoyne. Established at its present site in 1914, it became a junior college in 1924 and was chartered by the State of Tennessee in the 1930s as a 4-year college. In 1968, it merged with Owen Junior College, founded in 1954 by the Tennessee Baptist Missionary and Education Convention.