Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculators | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>

Clayborn Temple

This building, designed by architects Long & Kees with E.C. Jones supervising, was dedicated to the worship of God on Jan. 1, 1893. It was the second home of Second Presbyterian Church (organized Dec. 28, 1844) until sold to the AME Church in 1949 and then renamed Clayborn Temple. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. often spoke here. Many civil rights activities were held here in 1960s.