Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

George Jackson

In 1893, George Jackson established on Beale Street the Jackson Drug Store, also known as the New Era Pharmacy, the first drug store to be owned and operated by a black person in Memphis. Jackson received degrees from Oberlin College and the University of Michigan School of Pharmacy. He was a member of the faculty of the University of West Tennessee and a charter member of the Memphis Chapter, NAACP.