Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Wade Bolton and Bolton College

On this site in 1887 upon the Hoboken Plantation was erected the first building of Bolton College, established under the provisions of the will of Wade H. Bolton, prominent landowner, killed in 1869 by a former business partner in Court Square, Memphis, during the notorious Bolton-Dickens feud which lasted from 1857 to 1871. Bolton's bequest included $10,000 to build the school and an outright gift of 300 acres for the school grounds and supporting farm. Subsequently, the farm was increased to 1200 acres after the death of Bolton's widow, thus consolidating the remaining plantation property. (see Bolton School)