Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Emmanuel Protestant Episcopal Church

The first Negro Episcopal Church in Shelby County was organized by the Right Rev. Charles T. Quintard in 1873 with 5 men: Vernon Chalmers, W.B. Miller, Isaiah Pickett, John Pollard, and Thomas Williamson. It became a mission in 1875 and a parish in 1975. Its first church house was established in 1883 on Third near Jefferson. In 1910 the church moved to a new building at St. Paul and Cynthia Place.