Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Christian Brothers College

At this site, on November 17, 1871, the Christian Brothers purchased what was the Memphis Female College. Brother Maurelian, who served as the first president of Christian Brothers College, along with three other Brothers and one layman, opened classes on November 20. Overcoming financial crises and yellow fever epidemics during the 1870s, Christian Brothers College continued to provide for the educational needs of Memphis at this location until 1940 when the Brothers moved Christian Brothers College to its present location on East Parkway South.