Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Market Street School

On this corner the Memphis City School System erected the first publicly owned school building. Previously, rented facilities had been used. Market Street School was designed by architects E.C. Jones and M.H. Baldwin and was opened Jan. 8, 1872. In 1920 the name was changed to Christine School. The brick building stood until 1964.