Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Ashburn-Coppock Park

Named for Maj. Gen. Thomas Q. Ashburn (1874-1941) and Paul R. Coppock (1907-1983). In 1918 Ashburn as a war measure revived river transport by organizing the Federal Barge Lines; a city terminal here called its extra land Ashburn Park. In 1953 it was to be sold; leading protester was noted Memphis journalist-historian Coppock, who called Ashburn "Father of Towboats." Saved, the park in 1957 became part of the city system.