Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics | Site Map
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Gayoso Hotel

Opened in 1842, named for the early Spanish governor, this hotel's main entrance was originally here. Capt. William H. Forrest, raiding into Memphis under his famous brother in the early morning of August 21, 1864, rode his horse into the lobby, searching for Maj. Gen. Stephen A Hurlburt, quartered in the hotel, who was then sleeping elsewhere.