Home | Contact | Ethics | F. A. Q. | Filing Tools | Forms | Glossary | History | Links | Mortgage Calculator | Recording Statistics
Tom Leatherwood
 
Historical Markers of Shelby County

<< PreviousBackNext >>
VideoImageText

Calvary Cemetery

Consecrated in 1867 to serve the booming populations of the Catholic Irish, Germans and Italians, Calvary became the second Catholic Cemetery in Shelby County. Msgr. Martin Riordan, V.G., of St. Patrick Parish, was a leading proponent and advocate during the early development of Calvary Cemetery along with Terence McCarney, one of the early superintendents. The Cemetery contains the remains of over 45,000 of the faithful departed, including the Martyrs of Memphis; Mary Magdalene Hodges, recipient of the Miracle of Memphis; C.P.J. Mooney, Commercial Appeal editor; and many others, some famous and some known only to God. Many generations of the same families, poor to rich, are buried in Calvary. Almost every religious group that served the Catholic population in Memphis is represented at Calvary, which is still active and growing.